Monday, September 9, 2013

DIY Coasters

It turns out, I'm somewhat addicted to Pinterest. Follow me on Pinterest and you'll see what I mean. I've found lots of DIY projects. I'm slowly, but surely, tackling my list of DIY projects. Time for DIY Coasters!

I thought coasters would make cute little gifts, especially if they are personalized. They are really easy and fun to make. I made these coasters for a friend. The colors match the colors in her living room curtains. The fish paper you'll see is what I used for two coasters for my friend's husband to have his own. She loved the pretty colors to match her curtains and he, being an outdoorsman, loved his fish themed coasters.

I've seen several How-to Blogs on making these coasters. Here's what I did.

What you'll need:
4"x 4" Ceramic Tiles (Lowe's)
Scrapbook Paper (Hobby Lobby)
Mod Podge (Hobby Lobby)
Self-stick Rubber Pads (I got mine at Target)
Clear Sealer (Hobby Lobby)
*I just listed where I got my stuff. You can find these things at several different stores*



What you'll do:
Clean your tile with an alcohol wipe.
Add a layer of Mod Podge to the tile then place your paper on the tile, centering it.
Next, I used the Mod Podge squeegee to rub the paper down onto the tile.
Let it dry for 10-15 minutes.

Next, add a coat of Mod Podge over the paper. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes.
Add another coat and let dry. 
I added three coats of Mod Podge, but you can do more or less if you choose.
After the last coat of Mod Podge is completely dry, it's time to add the sealant.
I brushed on a layer of sealant and let it dry 15-20 minutes, then added another coat.
I also did three coats of the sealant.


After everything was nice and dry, I flipped the tile over and added a Self-stick Rubber Pad to each corner.

Ta Da! You've just made yourself some cute coasters!















2 comments:

  1. what kind of sealant did you use? I use Krylon and it made my coaster sticky. mjj2515@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Beacon Decoupage Gloss Sealer http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Adhesives-Decoupage-Sealer-8-Ounce/dp/B004L6GB8E It says it is tack-free, waterproof, crystal clear, acid-free, and non-toxic. I picked it up at Hobby Lobby. It came in a spray bottle, but I just took that off and dipped my brush in it to paint it on. Also, I did thin layers!

      Delete